Visible veins are one of those cosmetic issues that can affect people of all ages, skin types, and walks of life. And especially in a place like Atlanta, feeling too self-conscious to wear shorts or skirts can make the warmer months uncomfortable. But one aspect of visible veins (whether they’re on the legs or the face) that many people don’t realize is the difference between varicose veins and spider veins. While they’re similar issues, these two vein conditions have some key differences, and the guide below can help you understand which condition you have (or whether you have both), and how your veins can be treated at Dermatology Associates of Atlanta (DAA)’s own specialty center: The Atlanta Center for Veins.
At DAA, our goal is to helpevery patient achieve beautiful skin from head to toe, and that includes elements under the surface, like spider veins and varicose veins. Whether your visible veins are causing you physical discomfort or simply holding you back from loving your appearance, we’re here to help. Schedule a consultation with us today to learn about your treatment options. Or, for more fun facts, skin care tips, and special offers, follow DAA on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
Suffering from the blue, red and purple webs of varicose or spider veins is not exactly the kind of seasonal fun we like to deal with. The frustration that accompanies their lack of response to at-home removal methods and constant cover up can become a strain on your day to day life. Thankfully, while burdensome, they are rarely a serious health risk and often become more of a cosmetic concern. Dermatology Associates of Atlanta (DAA) offers various spider and varicose vein treatments at our advanced Atlanta Center for Veins.
While the true reason for the appearance of troublesome facial and legs veins remains a mystery, heredity, hormonal changes, sun exposure, and injuries are all considered probable causes. DAA’s Atlanta Center for Veins uses a variety of effective vein removal techniques to eliminate spider and varicose veins, including sclerotherapy, Veinwave™ for vein elimination, laser vein removal, and FotoFacial RF®, which uses intense pulsed light (IPL).
According to recent statistics from the American Society of Dermatologic Surgeons, vein treatment/sclerotherapy rose 53% in popularity over the last year alone. During sclerotherapy, a “sclerosing agent” is injected into the vein, diminishing the appearance of the vessel(s).Once the extent of your to-be-removed veins is determined during a consultation, a treatment plan will be devised from our experienced provider and vein removal specialist, Kathryn Filipek MPAS, PA-C .Patients usually need one to five sclerotherapy treatments before complete vein removal can be achieved.
If spider veins are your central target, you may benefit from our Veinwave™ vein elimination treatment. Veinwave™ is an FDA-approved technology for vein elimination that utilizes heat and ultra-fine needles for a minimally-invasive treatment that only penetrates the top layers of skin. While patients typically see instant results, those with more significant veins may require two sessions with our vein removal specialist for complete removal. In specific cases, pulsed dye lasers (PDL) are used for persistent red areas, while GentleYAG can be used for persistent blue areas of the skin.
In addition to removing age spots, birthmarks, and tattoos, lasers can be used to remove spider and varicose veins. Our GentleLase laser technologies and FotoFacial® IPL treatment can address unwanted veins. Our laser technicians and providers will choose the best laser technology to effectively shrink unwanted veins on the face, neck, hands, and legs without causing any harm to contiguous skin. For varicose veins, laser light is emitted through a tube inserted into the targeted vessel that progressively makes the vein disappear. Most laser vein removal patients see results in one to five treatments.
Even though these conditions have become very common, many people are unaware of the variety of vein treatment options available today. To learn more about our treatments, please contact us for an appointment today. Don’t forget to connect with DAA on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for the latest news about caring for your skin in the best way possible.
Get yourself holiday-ready during our December Cosmetic Days. Join us December 7th and 14th, 2011 for one-day only specials on facial fillers like Juvéderm®, Restylane®, and Radiesse®. These fillers work with your skin to plump areas of lost volume around the nose and mouth. Restylane® was also recently approved by the FDA for lip enhancement in patients over the age of 21!
You can also take advantage of $50 off Botox® and Dysport®. These injectables work to smooth wrinkles by relaxing the muscles that cause lines as a result of repeated facial expressions. Also included in our Cosmetic Day deals is $75 off cosmetic laser treatments over $250! Winter is the perfect time to take advantage of laser treatments because of the cooler weather and reduced likelihood of damaging sun exposure.
We’re also offering 20% off all Skin Medics™ Medical Spa’s skincare products including Cosmedix®, Skin Medica®, and Jane Iredale® products!
Make sure to mark your calendar to join us for our Cosmetic Days this December! We hope to see you there! Make sure to contact us for more information or to schedule your appointment!
Dermatology Associates of Atlanta‘s Drs. Griffin, Karempelis, and Curtis were featured in Jezebel Magazine‘s October Who’s Who issue on newsstands now! For more information on DAA and our doctors or to schedule an appointment, contact us! You can also connect with us on Facebook and Twitter for more news and updates.
If you thought Dermatology Associates of Atlanta’s eight on-site specialty centers were extensive, then you will definitely consider the sixteen different lasers at the Laser Institute of Georgia amazing. We, however, see it as a way to provide Atlantans with the best skin care head to toe. Lasers can treat a variety of skin conditions, and our physicians have over twenty years of experience working with this skin care technology.
If you’re wondering why sixteen lasers are necessary, allow us to explain: just like no two human beings are identical, all lasers are slightly different. Although settings can be adjusted on most lasers, certain lasers treat specific conditions and skin types better. Lasers are attracted to pigment, the darker the pigment, the more effective the laser treatment. Take laser hair removal and laser tattoo removal for an example. We probably wouldn’t have much luck trying to remove hair with a tattoo removal laser (or setting). More
If you suffer from unsightly varicose or spider veins, you know how frustrating they can be. No matter how you try to hide them, the blue, red and purple webs remain. What causes these veins is debatable, but heredity, hormonal changes, sun exposure, and injuries are the main culprits. Despite the cause of these unpleasant veins, they are rarely a serious health risk and become more of a cosmetic concern. Dermatology Associates of Atlanta offers various spider and varicose vein treatments at the Atlanta Center for Veins.
Sclerotherapy vein removal is a method we commonly use to treat veins. A “sclerosing agent” is injected into the vein, shrinking the appearance of the vessel(s). Patients typically require one to five sclerotherapy treatments before noticing complete vein removal, but we can modify a specific treatment plan specifically for you during a consultation, once we determine the extent of your unwanted veins.
If spider veins are your main concern, you may also benefit from our Veinwave™ vein elimination treatment. Veinwave™ is one of the newest skin technologies FDA approved for vein elimination. Using heat and ultra fine needles, Veinwave™ is minimally invasive, only penetrating the top layers of skin. Patients typically see immediate results, but those with more significant veins may benefit from two sessions with our vein removal specialist.
Lasers, like the ones that eliminate age spots, birthmarks, etc. at the Laser Institute of Georgia, can also remove spider and varicose veins. Our GentleLase laser technologies and Foto Facial® IPL treatment can all eliminate unwanted veins. We will choose the best laser technology to effectively shrink unwanted veins on the face, neck, hands, and legs without damaging the surrounding skin. For varicose veins, laser light is emitted through a tube inserted into the targeted vessel that gradually shrinks the vein. Most laser vein removal patients see results in one to five treatments.
DAA’s Atlanta Center for Veins offers vein removal techniques to eliminate spider and varicose veins, but if veins are not your issue, be sure to stay tuned to our Specialty Center blog series. With our eight specialty centers, Dermatology Associates of Atlanta offers services for everyone. Whether you’re interested in laser skin treatments, facial rejuvenation, hair loss conditions, liposuction, or just general dermatology and skin conditions, we have something for you. Visit our website to see more about the services we offer, and find us on Facebook and Twitter. We’d love to connect with you!
Dermatology Associates of Atlanta is an all-serving medical facility with eight on-site specialty centers. Our team of board certified dermatologists and physician’s assistants, with 150 years of combined experience, provides patients with optimum care of the skin, hair, and nails. Because our practice’s offerings are a bit extensive, each specialty center containing its own staff of trained physicians and practitioners with their own distinct menu of skin treatments, we’ve decided to highlight each center in our upcoming blog series. Listed below is a brief overview of what’s offered at each specialty center:
• Atlanta Center for Veins: Our vein treatment center offers face and leg vein elimination treatment for varicose and spider veins including: sclerotherapy, Veinwave™, laser vein removal, and Foto Facial® IPL treatment. DAA’s vein specialists has successfully treated varicose and spider veins for over 20 years.
• Atlanta Laser and Cosmetic Surgery Center: Cosmetic procedures like liposuction, facial rejuvenation, facial fillers, and dermal injectables are offered in our cosmetic surgery center. Our surgical procedures are performed in our state-of-the-art Surgical Suite and non-surgical procedures are performed in our treatment rooms.
• Dermatology Center: This center is dedicated to basic dermatological conditions of the skin, hair and nails such as warts, acne, rashes, brown spots, or precancerous lesions.
Skin Cancer Center: Part of DAA’s Dermatology Center, our Skin Cancer Center is devoted to the prevention and removal of skin cancer. Skin cancer body checks are performed regularly. Surgical removal of cancerous lesions can be performed in one of our procedure rooms; more advanced surgeries must be performed in our Surgical Suite. For instance, Mohs skin cancer surgery, our most precise and effective method of removing skin cancer is performed in the Surgical Suite.
• Griffin Center of Hair Restoration and Research: Dr. Edmond Griffin, leading hair loss specialist and board certified dermatologist for 34 years, founded this center with the goal of ensuring that every patient with a hair loss condition leaves his office informed about hair loss prevention methods, treatment options, and a clear understanding if hair restoration surgery is right for them.
• Laser Institute of Georgia: We are proud, not only to be the largest and most experienced laser center in the Southeast, but also the first laser center available in Georgia. We offer 16 different lasers. Our physicians have over 20 years of experience using lasers to remove and/or reduce: wrinkles, brown or red spots, tattoos, facial veins, freckles, birthmarks, and unwanted hair.
• Psoriasis Treatment Center: Specifically devoted to treat patients suffering from psoriasis, this center offers various treatment methods including: PHAROS EX-308 Excimer Laser treatments, scalp hydrotherapy, and localized psoriasis therapy, to name a few.
• Skin Medics™ Medical Spa: A visit to Skin Medics™ will allow you to indulge in the latest facial rejuvenation techniques with microdermabrasion, facials, natural peels and chemical peels. Our board certified dermatologists and licensed medical aestheticians work together to meet your every skin care need.
• Hair Removal Center: Located within Skin Medics™, this center provides multiple options for hair removal such as waxing, electrolysis, and laser hair removal. Laser hair removal is also offered at DAA’s Laser Institute of Georgia.
• The Surgical Suite: Our 2000 square-foot state-of-the-art outpatient center is devoted to safety as well as medical and surgical excellence. Our surgical suite offers comprehensive surgical services, an experienced medical staff, and a comfortable waiting area for friends or family members.
Be sure to visit the Dermatology Associates of Atlanta website for more information on the services we provide at each of the centers. Also, stay tuned for the upcoming blog series as we further introduce each specialty center, along with our regular updates on dermatology news and our specials.